2018 Board of Directors Elections
City Market, Onion River Co-op's Board of Directors consists of nine members, elected from the general Membership. Elections are held annually and Directors serve for a term of three years. The three candidates who receive the most votes will be elected for 3 year terms, starting January 2018 and ending December 2020.
Applications for candidates interested in running for a seat on the Board for the 2019-2021 term are due on Tuesday, September 4, 2018. Applications are available below to either print and fill out by hand (printable) or to fill in digitally and either print or save and email (digital).
Voting for Board Members will take place online from Monday, October 1 - Friday, Sunday 21. Eligible Members will receive detailed information in their mailboxes with instructions on how to cast their online ballots. This page will also be updated with instructions once voting begins on October 1.
If you have any questions during this process, please contact Liz Jarvis at 802-861-9707 or email@example.com.
City Market, Onion River Co-op Board of Directors' candidates must:
- Be a City Market/Onion River Co-op Member in good standing. Any household member wanting to run for the Board must purchase Equity under their own Membership by September 4, 2018.
- Be 18 years of age as of September 4, 2018.
- State all potential conflicts of interest on application and must not have an overriding conflict of interest.
In an effort to better educate new candidates about Board work, including the time commitment involved and the associated responsibilities, the Board has created a list of optional preparedness activities. The checklist is as follows:
Attend an Orientation with Michael Healy. Michael Healy is a Co-op Member, our Board Facilitator and a consultant with CDS Consulting Co-op. We will schedule three orientations at City Market this summer:
Monday, July 23 from 4:30pm to 5:30pm at our South End location (before the regularly scheduled Board Meeting)
- Monday, August 20 from 6pm to 7pm at our South End location
- Tuesday, August 28 from 6pm to 7pm at our Downtown location
To attend one of these sessions, please RSVP at least 24 hours in advance to Liz Jarvis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 861-9707.
- Read suggested materials on Policy Governance. These materials are found in the Cooperative Board Leadership 101 Reader. The Reader includes two articles that focus on Policy Governance, which is the form of governance used by the Co-op’s Board, the Four Pillars of Cooperative Governance and Taking Policy Governance to Heart. In addition to the articles from the Reader, the third article for review is the Policy Governance Quick Guide.
- Review a Board packet from a prior meeting. City Market’s Board packets are reading materials that each Board Member receives prior to each meeting. Each Board Member reads the packet in order to be prepared to fully participate in the monthly Board meeting. You can find a sample Board packet here.
Attend a Board meeting. There is one more opportunity to attend Board meetings before the Tuesday, September 4 Board Candidate Application deadline. All Board meetings are held at City Market, either in our Downtown Conference Room or in our South End Community Room (location noted next to dates below). Please RSVP to Liz Jarvis (using the contact information above) and a Co-op Staff Member will meet you at Customer Service just before 6pm. Liz will send you a Board packet prior to the meeting you would like to attend.
Monday, June 25, 6pm – 8:30pm, Downtown store Conference Room
- Monday, July 23, 6pm – 8:30pm, South End store Community Room
- Monday, August 27, 6pm – 8:30pm, Downtown store Conference Room
- Talk with a current Board Member. This will give you a Board Member’s perspective of the Co-op’s governance process. Board Members will be available during the orientation sessions with Michael Healy (see above). Otherwise, please use the contact information here to get in touch with a Board Member directly.
Thank you for casting your vote in October and participating in Co-op Governance!