COTS Tree Sale
Please note that all the COTS Trees have been sold!
Our 21st Annual COTS Tree Sale started Wednesday, December 5, 2018! We once again sold fresh, local balsams from Moffatt’s Tree Farm in Craftsbury, Vermont for $35 each (all sizes) at our Downtown location.
The Committee on Temporary Shelter provides emergency shelter, services, and housing for people who are homeless or marginally housed in Vermont. COTS advocates for long term solutions to end homelessness.
New this year: Buy a Tree, Plant a Tree!
When you purchased a COTS tree from City Market at this past year’s tree sale, the Intervale Center committed to planting a tree for you somewhere in Vermont! Your tree will be planted in the spring of 2019. Every year, the Conservation Nursery, a program of the Intervale Center, plants 30,000 Vermont-grown, native trees and shrubs along rivers and streams throughout the state. Your tree will live for decades, providing habitat for animals, reducing erosion, filtering pollutants before they reach waterways, and sequestering carbon.
Make your own paper snowflake to hang on your COTS Tree! Download and print out this activity sheet to get started.
According to COTS:
- $18.50 covers food and a night of emergency shelter for an adult at the Waystation.
- The Daystation, a daytime emergency shelter, is seeing an average of 45 people per day.
- $50 pays for anew backpack and school supplies for a child in their family shelters.
- Provided service to 90 familes, some of whom were also in shelter
- In the past year, 51 families stayed at the Main Street or Firehouse family shelters, including 78 children.
After the 2018 sale, City Market staff presented a check totaling $10,500 to COTS and a check totalling $8,969.99 to the Intervale Center. This year marked the 21th Annual Tree Sale to benefit COTS, bringing the total donation to over $146,000. If you missed the tree sale and would like to donate to COTS, please visit them online at www.COTSonline.org/how-you-can-help.