COTS Tree Sale
Our 22nd Annual COTS Tree Sale started on Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at our Downtown store! We once again sold fresh, local balsams from Moffatt’s Tree Farm in Craftsbury, Vermont for $40 each (all sizes).
The Committee on Temporary Shelter provides emergency shelter, services, and housing for people who are homeless or marginally housed in Vermont. COTS advocates for long term solutions to end homelessness.
Buy a Tree, Plant a Tree!
When you buy a tree from City Market at this year’s COTS Tree Sale, the Intervale Center will plant a tree for you somewhere in Vermont! Your tree will be planted in the spring of 2020. Every year, the Conservation Nursery, a program of the Intervale Center, plants 30,000 Vermont-grown, native trees and shrubs along rivers and streams throughout the state. Your tree will live for decades, providing habitat for animals, reducing erosion, filtering pollutants before they reach waterways, and sequestering carbon.
Once again we're looking for volunteers to help out during our COTS Tree Sale! This includes everything from helping with unloading the delivey of trees to helping customers load the trees to their vehicles. To sign up for a shift today, click here!
According to COTS:
- $20 covers a night of emergency shelter for an adult at COTS' year-round shelter (The Waystation).
- The Daystation, COTS' daytime center for adults who are homeless, hosts an average of 43 people per day.
- $50 pays for a new backpack and school supplies for a child in COTS family shelters.
- Provided housing navigation services to 69 familes in COTS shelters and the community.
- In the past year, 52 families stayed at the Main Street or Firehouse family shelters, including 97 children.
After the 2019 sale, City Market staff presented a check totaling $13,442.10 to COTS and a check totalling $8,115.38 to the Intervale Center. This year marked the 22th Annual Tree Sale to benefit COTS, bringing the total donation to over $159,000. If you missed the tree sale and would like to donate to COTS, please visit them online.