Valentine's Surf & Turf for Two
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||30 minutes|
|Total time||45 minutes|
Executive Chef Michael Clauss shares this take on the classic combo.
For the Veggies
- Toss carrots, squash, and 4 sprigs of thyme in 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season to taste.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and roast at 375°F for about 15 minutes until tender, but not too soft.
- Keep warm for serving.
To elevate: toss with candied lemon rind and honey after roasting.
For the Beef
- Rub steaks in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chopped rosemary, and 4 sprigs of thyme. Let sit at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes prior to cooking.
- Generously season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Using a cast iron skillet or grill pan on high heat, sear steaks until caramelized on all sides, reduce temperature and continue to cook until the desired temperature.
- Remove steaks from pan and rest until served.
- Using the same pan, on medium to high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and mushrooms.
- Sauté mushrooms until lightly golden and tender, add smoked mussels and black garlic and toss until warm through. Finish with 1 teaspoon of butter. Season to taste.
- Add steaks back to pan and keep warm to serve.
To elevate: add caramelized leeks, red wine, and demi-glace to the mushroom sauce.
For the Shrimp
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper.
- Using a cast iron skillet or sauté pan on high heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté shrimp until they start to curl, and turn pink. About 2 minutes.
- Add shallots and toss. Deglaze pan with a dash of white wine (optional) and add cream.
- Add the pre-boiled potatoes and reduce until sauce is thickened and shrimp are cooked through. About 3 minutes. You can adjust the consistency of the sauce with the remaining wine (optional).
- Finish with chopped chives, capers if substituting, and 1 teaspoon of butter. Season to taste.
To elevate: add julienne black truffles to the sauce.
- Arrange vegetables across the center of each plate, almost creating a divider.
- Place steak on one side of the plate and top with even amount of sautéed mushroom mixture to each plate.
- On the other side of each plate, arrange 3 shrimp in a half moon configuration.
- Top shrimp with an even amount of sauce on each plate. Garnish with a small spoonful of caviar between each shrimp.
- Garnish plates with fresh sprigs of thyme or chives.