Sourdough Discard Biscuits
Adapted from Brotbakery Vermont and Sarah Owen’s Buttermilk Biscuits.
1. Preheat the oven to 425° F / 220° C and position rack in upper third of oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In a large bowl stir flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry bender cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly but some large pieces of butter remain. You can also do this with a food processor.
3. In a small bowl stir together sourdough discard and yogurt (or buttermilk)
4. Add the sourdough discard mix to the flour mix and stir just until a cohesive dough is formed. If using a food processor pulse just a few times until you see no dry flour bits.
5. Place in the fridge for 15 min.
6. Use an ice cream scooper or a large spoon to scoop out uniform sizes of dough onto the parchment paper. Place biscuits 2 inch apart. Lightly brush with melted butter, sprinkle with coarse sea salt and bake for about 10-12 minutes (depending on the size of your lumps) until golden brown. Let cool a few minutes then serve warm.
7. The biscuits can be frozen and then reheated in a hot oven for a few minutes before serving