2019 Board Appointment
Thank you for your interest in being considered for an appointment to City Market’s Board of Directors. This is for a Board seat from June 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019, which will be appointed by the current Board of Directors. The successful candidate would need to apply separately through the usual Board candidate process if they wish to run in the October Board elections (for seats starting in January 2020). The Appointment Application includes all of the information you’ll need to share your interest and be considered by the Board of Directors for this appointment. If you have any questions during this process, please contact Allison Hope at 802-777-2667 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
City Market is governed by a 9 member Board of Directors, elected from among our 13,500+ Co-op Members. Elections are held annually from October 1 to October 21 and Board Members generally serve 3-year terms. This particular appointment process is due to the fact that we have a current Board Member who is moving and has to vacate their seat before the end of their term (December 31, 2019).
To be eligible to serve on the City Market, Onion River Co-op Board of Directors, you must:
- Be a City Market, Onion River Co-op Member in good standing. Any household member wanting to run for the Board must purchase Equity under their own Membership by May 20, 2019.
- Be 18 years of age as of May 20, 2019.
- State all potential conflicts of interest on the application and must not have an overriding conflict of interest.
If you meet these requirements, please submit a completed City Market, Onion River Co-op Board of Directors’ Appointment Application and all required attachments by Monday, May 20, 2019.
Please submit your Appointment Application via email, mail or at either store’s Customer Service desk by Monday, May 20, 2019.
City Market/Onion River Co-op
Attention: Allison Hope, Community Engagement
82 S. Winooski Avenue
Burlington, VT 05401
If you’d like to better understand our Board’s work, please feel free to consider completing one or more of these optional Board preparedness activities:
• Read suggested materials on Policy Governance. These materials are found in the Cooperative Board Leadership 101 Reader. The Reader includes two articles that focus on Policy Governance, which is the form of governance used by the Co-op’s Board, the Four Pillars of Cooperative Governance and Taking Policy Governance to Heart. In addition to the articles from the Reader, the third article for review is the Policy Governance Quick Guide.
If you would prefer printed versions, please contact Allison using the information listed above.
• Review a Board packet from a prior meeting. City Market’s Board packets are reading materials that each Board Member receives prior to each meeting. Each Board Member reads the packet in order to be prepared to fully participate in the monthly Board meeting. You can find a sample Board packet here.
• Attend the May Board meeting. Attending a Board meeting is a great way to learn how the Board works. Please RSVP to Allison Hope (using the contact information listed above) prior to the meeting, if you plan to attend in May. Allison will provide directions and arrange for a Co-op staff member to meet you at Customer Service to guide you to the meeting if needed. We understand that this meeting is just around the corner, so attendance at this meeting is encouraged, but not a required part of the process.
- Monday, May 27, 6pm – 8:30pm, Downtown store conference room