Co-op Patronage Seedling Grants
New for 2014!
As a community-owned food cooperative, City Market acts as a non-profit when we account for the profit we make from sales to our Members. Each profitable year, our General Manager recommends a Patronage Dividend to our Board of Directors. A portion of this Dividend is returned through a Patronage Refund check to eligible Members each November, based on their spending from the prior fiscal year.
According to City Market’s By-Laws, any Patronage Refunds that are not cashed within 90 days of issuance are donated to organizations supporting our local food system, as directed by our Board. Over the past three years, Member generosity has allowed the Co-op to donate over $93,000 to local non-profits like the Intervale Farmers Equipment Corp., The Intervale Center and the Vermont Farm Viability Program. In 2014, City Market created a new program to offer grants through our uncashed Patronage Refund checks; we're calling it Co-op Patronage Seedling Grants.
Through our Co-op Patronage Seedling Grants, City Market donates to Vermont non-profit organizations whose work strengthens our local food system. We do not donate or grant funds to individuals, partisan organizations, or organizations that advance a particular religious belief.
- Applications are due no later than Monday, July 14, 2014 at 5pm. Digital applications can be submitted to email@example.com. Hard copies can be submitted to our Customer Service desk or mailed to City Market, Attn: Allison Weinhagen, 82 South Winooski Avenue, Burlington VT 05401.
- Although we would like to support every worthwhile project, due to the volume of applications and the nature of limited budgets, it may not be possible for us to fulfill every request.
- Grants will be reviewed by a committee of City Market Members. This committee will then make a recommendation for grant awards to City Market’s Board of Directors. Final approval is at the discretion of City Market’s Board. The Board will review the recommendations at their September 2014 meeting.
- Grant requests can be submitted for projects (or portions of projects) totaling $250 to $5,000.
- While we won’t know the total of the uncashed Patronage Checks until March 2015, we will allocate a minimum of $20,000 grants in 2014 (pending Board approval of the awards). If the total funding is more than that, the additional amount will be allocated equitably to recipients (based on the percentage of total already granted).
- Grant applications that are not submitted and fully completed by the deadline of Monday, July 14, 2014 by 5pm will not be considered. Postmark dates do not count as receipt dates for this process.
- Grant applications will be ranked by the Committee based on a number of factors including impact to the local food system, details of the planning and budget process submitted by applicants, and cost of the total project versus the perceived or demonstrated impact.
Applications are due to City Market by Monday, July 14, 2014 at 5pm (postmarks don't count)!
The Member Grants Committee
City Market Members who would like to be considered for the Member Committee should fill out this quick form online by Friday, June 27, 2014. Committee Members will be chosen by Wednesday, July 16 and will need to be able to meet at least once during the week of July 21.