We ♥ Local Food Recipe Contest
We’re all about celebrating local cornmeal this winter, and what better way than to challenge you to a local cornmeal recipe contest? Did you know, cornmeal can be used for so much more than just cornbread? Get creative (experiment with savory and sweet!) and you could win fabulous prizes! Enter your recipe between January 30 – February 12 for your chance to win. The top 3 recipes will be sampled and voted on by the public in the store on Friday, February 24 and at the Burlington Winter Farmers’ Market on Saturday, February 25.
Congratulations to April Howard! Her recipe, Cornmeal Pudding, won the popular vote. Congrats to our runners-up and thanks to everyone who voted!
Top 3 Recipes
Thanks to all who entered! It was a hard choice, as there were a variety of creative, intriguing, and delicious sounding recipes. After deliberating and looking at recipes in terms of local ingredients, ease of making, taste, health, and originality, the top 3 finalist recipes are:
The public will have a chance to sample and vote for their favorite to determine the winner!
- Friday, February 24: 3:00-6:00pm at City Market
- Saturday, February 25: 10:00am-2:00pm at the Burlington Winter Farmers’ Market
Sometime between January 30 and February 12, enter your recipe information online (see below for the fine print) or by dropping off a copy at the Customer Service Desk. Recipes can be either sweet or savory. The only requirements are that local cornmeal plays a significant role in your recipe.
- 1st Place: $100 gift card to City Market and a Le Creuset 2.75qt Round Shallow Oven and apron from Kiss the Cook
- 2nd & 3rd Place: $25 gift card to City Market
The Fine Print
- Recipes can be your own creation or adapted from other sources.
- All submissions must include a detailed ingredients list and directions.
- Recipes can be submitted electronically at www.citymarket.coop/we-heart-local-food or on paper at the Customer Service Desk (if submitting a hard copy, please include your name and contact info).
- Our panel of judges will vote for their top three favorites. Finalists will be announced by Thursday, February 16.
- Entries will be judged based on proportion of local ingredients and the featured ingredient, simplicity and ease of making and serving, taste, health, and originality.
- The three finalist recipes will be sampled in the store on Friday, February 24 and at the Burlington Winter Farmers’ Market on Saturday, February 25 where people will be able to vote for their favorite.
- The top vote getter and runner-ups will be notified about their winnings on Monday, February 27.
We have partnered with Sugarbush Resort to offer a 2-for-1 lift ticket voucher for Mt. Ellen to everyone who submits a recipe and everyone who votes for their favorite recipe in the store or at the Winter Farmers Market.
Need some cornmeal inspiration?
You’re in luck! We’ve done some digging and offer up these notes, tips and recipe ideas on our blog. And check out our Pinterest board below!