We ♥ Local Food Recipe Contest
It’s that time of year again! Save the date for our annual We ♥ Local Food Recipe Contest. This year, we’ve chosen Sweet Potatoes as our featured ingredient and we can’t wait to see what you come up with! These root vegetables are the perfect staple for a Vermont winter. Roast them up as a side, stuff them with chili, or put your own spin on the classic sweet potato casserole. You can even sneak them into hummus or bake them in a pie. The possibilities are endless! Enter your recipe online January 28th-February 11th and be sure to sample and vote on the top 3 recipes in February (see dates below).
- Wednesday, January 23: Kick-off Demo South End from 11am-1pm
- Thursday, January 24: Kick-off Demo Downtown from 11am-1pm
- Friday, February 22: Voting & Sampling Top 3 Recipes Downtown & South End 11am-1pm
- Saturday, February 23: Voting & Sampling Top 3 Recipes at Winter Farmers Market 10am-2pm
Between January 28 and February 11, enter your recipe online (see below for the fine print) or by dropping off a copy at the Customer Service Desk. Recipes can be sweet or savory. The only requirements are that local sweet potatoes play a significant role in your recipe.
Instructions for submitting your entry will go live on January 28.
- 1st Place: $100 gift card to City Market and a prize from Kiss the Cook
- 2nd & 3rd Place: $25 gift card to City Market
The Fine Print
- Recipes can be your own creation or adapted from other sources.
- All submissions must include a detailed ingredients list and directions.
- Recipes can be submitted electronically (see link above) or on paper at the Customer Service Desk (if submitting a hard copy, please include your name and contact info).
- Our panel of judges will vote for their top three recipes. Finalists will be announced by Friday, February 15.
- Entries will be judged based on proportion of local ingredients and the featured ingredient, simplicity and ease of making and serving, taste, health, and originality.
- The three finalist recipes will be sampled in both stores and at the Burlington Winter Farmers’ Market where people will be able to vote for their favorite.
- The top vote earner and runner-ups will be notified about their winnings on Wednesday, February 27.
Need some Sweet Potato inspiration?
Check out our favorite recipes: