We ♥ Local Food Recipe Contest
February 2-15, 2015
We’re all about the beans this winter – local beans, that is! Get creative with these protein-packed powerhouses and you could win fabulous prizes! Enter your sweet or savory local bean recipe online between February 2-15 for your chance to win. The top 3 recipes will be sampled and voted on by the public.
Thanks to all who entered! The top 3 finalist recipes are:
The public will have a chance to sample and vote for their favorite to determine the winner!
- Friday, February 27: 4:00-7:00pm at City Market
- Saturday, February 28: 10:00am-2:00pm at the Winter Farmers’ Market
Sometime between February 2-15, enter your recipe information online or by dropping off a copy at the Customer Service Desk. Recipes can be either sweet or savory. The only requirements are that beans play a significant role in your recipe and that you use one or more of the following local varieties:
King of the Early, Yellow Eye, Marfax, Jacob's Cattle, Tiger's Eye
These colorful, Vermont-grown beans come to us from Morningstar Farm in Glover. Learn more about this family-run diversified farm.
Not familiar with these beans? Need some bean-spiration? You’re in luck! We’ve experimented with all of these varieties and offer up these tasting notes, cooking tips and recipe ideas on our blog.
- 1st Place: $100 gift card to City Market and Le Creuset Stoneware Bean Pot from Kiss the Cook
- 2nd & 3rd Place: $25 gift card to City Market
- All entrants receive a Jay Peak voucher (see below) and an entry in our "Chocolate Sweetstakes."
The Fine Print
- Recipes can be your own creation or adapted from other sources.
- All submissions must include a detailed ingredients list and directions.
- Recipes can be submitted electronically at www.citymarket.coop/we-heart-local-food or on paper at the Customer Service Desk.
- Our panel of judges will vote for their top three favorites.
- Entries will be judged based on proportion of local ingredients, simplicity, taste, health, and originality.
- The three finalist recipes will be sampled at the Burlington Winter Farmers’ Market on Saturday, February 28 where people will be able to vote for their favorite.
- The top vote getter and runner-ups will be notified on Monday, March 2.
We have partnered with Jay Peak Resort to offer a 2-for-1 lift ticket voucher to everyone who submits a recipe and everyone who votes for their favorite recipe at the Burlington Winter Farmer’s Market. Throughout the month of February, City Market customers can also enter to win a 2 night ski vacation for 4 people at Jay Peak Resort, home to the most snow in Eastern North America. This package includes 2 nights at Hotel Jay, 2 days of skiing and riding, and access to the Pump House, Jay Peak’s indoor waterpark.
Check out our bean-inspired Pinterest board!