We ♥ Local Food Recipe Contest
We’re all about celebrating the under-appreciated parsnip this winter, and what better way than to challenge you to a local parsnip recipe contest? Get creative with this hearty, understated root vegetable and you could win fabulous prizes! Enter your recipe (savory or sweet – time to get creative!) online between February 1-14 for your chance to win. The top 3 recipes will be sampled and voted on by the public in the store on Friday, March 4 and at the Burlington Winter Farmers’ Market on March 5.
Congratulations to Jamie Holt! Her recipe, Garlicky Parsotto with Parsnip Crisps, won the popular vote. Congrats to our runners-up and thanks to everyone who voted!
Top 3 Recipes
Thanks to all who entered! It was a hard choice, as there were a variety of creative, intriguing, and delicious sounding recipes. After deliberating and looking at recipes in terms of local ingredients, ease of making, taste, health, and originality, the top 3 finalist recipes are:
We'd also like to give an honorable mention to Norah Cunha for her Pretty Pink Parsnips recipe!
The public will have a chance to sample and vote for their favorite to determine the winner!
- Friday, March 4: 4:00-7:00pm at City Market
- Saturday, March 5: 10:00am-2:00pm at the Burlington Winter Farmers’ Market
Sometime between February 1-14, enter your recipe information online (see below for the fine print) or by dropping off a copy at the Customer Service Desk. Recipes can be either sweet or savory. The only requirements are that local parsnips play a significant role in your recipe.
Finalists will be announced no later than Monday, February 22.
Need some parsnip inspiration? You’re in luck! We’ve done some digging and offer up these notes and recipe ideas on our blog.
- 1st Place: $100 gift card to City Market and a Le Creuset stockpot and apron from Kiss the Cook
- 2nd & 3rd Place: $25 gift card to City Market
- All entrants receive a Jay Peak voucher (see below)
The Fine Print
- Recipes can be your own creation or adapted from other sources.
- All submissions must include a detailed ingredients list and directions.
- Recipes can be submitted electronically at www.citymarket.coop/we-heart-local-food or on paper at the Customer Service Desk.
- Our panel of judges will vote for their top three favorites.
- Entries will be judged based on proportion of local ingredients, simplicity, taste, health, and originality.
- The three finalist recipes will be sampled in the store on Friday, March 4 and at the Burlington Winter Farmers’ Market on Saturday, March 5 where people will be able to vote for their favorite.
- The top vote getter and runner-ups will be notified on Monday, March 7.
We have partnered with Jay Peak Resort to offer a 2-for-1 lift ticket voucher to everyone who submits a recipe and everyone who votes for their favorite recipe in the store or at the Burlington Winter Farmer’s Market.
Need some inspiration? Check out our parsnip Pinterest board!