Winter Root Pancakes (From Vermont Farm to Table Cookbook)
|Source||Jr Iron Chef Vermont: Sharon Shredders|
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||10 minutes|
|Total time||25 minutes|
These savory pancakes make a great meal, any time of the day.
Procedure for pancakes:
1) In a large bowl, mix together celeriac root, sweet potato, parsnip, onion, flour, eggs, herbs and salt and pepper. Fold the parmesan and cheddar into the batter. If the batter seems too thin, add a bit more flour.
2) Heat 1 tbs. oil and 1/2 tbs. butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and drop it onto the prepared griddle. Use a fork to flatten the pancakes and cook on one side until nicely browned, about 4 min. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown, about 3 min.
3)Transfer pancakes to an oven safe dish and keep warm in a 275 degree oven.
Procedure for salsa:
1) In a food processor, combine cranberries, cilantro, jalapeno peppers (seeded and chopped). Pulse until it is roughly chopped.
2) Dice the red onion small and add to the mixture.
3) Juice the two limes and mix into the cranberries. Add sugar and blend.
To serve pancakes:
Place two pancakes on a plate, put a dollop of sour cream and then a dollop of cranberry salsa. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.