City Market's Seitan Bourguignon
|Prep time||30 minutes|
|Cooking time||30 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour|
A vegetarian take on the traditional wine-simmered French dish as seen on City Market's Hot Bar menu.
2 tablespoonsflour, all-purpose
4 tablespoonssunflower oil
1/2 cuponion, yellow
1/2 cupmushrooms, white
2 tablespoonstomato paste
3/4 cupred wine
- In a large sauté pan, add half of the sunflower oil. Over medium heat, sauté carrots and onions for 5 minutes until onions are softened.
- Add the celery, mushrooms and garlic and cook an additional 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- In the same large sauté pan, make a roux by combining flour and the remaining sunflower oil. Stir until blended. Cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add tomato paste, thyme, red wine and an equal amount of hot water. Stir constantly. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add seitan and cook until heated through.
- Add back in ingredients that were set aside in the bowl. Season to taste.
- Serve over noodles or rice.