Root Vegetable Sombrero
|Source||Jr Iron Chef Vermont: Iron Eagles|
|Prep time||35 minutes|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|
|Total time||50 minutes|
These sweet and savory pastries are sure to be a hit! Great for a mid day snack or as part of an entree.
(Ingredients including and following 4 cups flour used to make the pie dough)
PROCEDURE FOR FILLING
1. Finely chop shallots and mince garlic. In a large skillet, heat the 2 tbsp. olive oil on medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, and ¾ c. vegetable broth. Cook stirring until the broth has evaporated and the mixture starts to brown. Add the 1 tbsp. butter, 1 tsp. maple syrup, ¼ tsp. each salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes to coat the shallots. Set aside.
2. Cube the carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, and celery root. Start sauteing the carrots as soon as they are cut.
3. Cube the apple and prepare the kale put don’t put these veggies in with other veggies until the end of saute.
4. In a second sauce pan, heat 3 tbsp. olive oil on medium heat. Add the veggies from step 2. Saute until veggies soften but not mushy. Add apple and kale towards the end of saute.
5. Add 3 tbsp. flour, cumin, and chili powder, ¼ c. maple syrup, ¼ tsp. salt and pepper. Coat the veggies with the flour/spices and cook for a few minutes. Slowly add the milk and cook until thickened and smooth.
6. Add the lime zest, lime juice, and cilantro. Then add the shallots from Step #1. Mix.
7. Roll out the pie dough into 7” rounds. Place ¼ c. filling in the center. Fold up the ends leaving a hole in the center. Top with cheese. Place on lightly greased parchment lined baking pan.
8. Bake pie dough at 350 degrees until lightly browned and cheese is melted.
9. Garnish with a spiralized butternut squash and chopped cilantro.
PROCEDURE FOR PIE CRUST
1. Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Pulse for a second or two to mix.
2. Cut up the butter into chunks and add to processor. Then add chunks of the Crisco. Pulse with processor to mix.
3. In a separate bowl beat the egg with a whisk. Add lime or lemon juice, egg, and water. Add it to the flour mixture in the processor. PULSE FOR JUST A FEW SECONDS TO MIX.
4. Roll out the dough into 12- 7” rounds. This will be used for the Root Vegetable Sombrero Filling.