Root and Ziti Bake
|Source||Jr Iron Chef Vermont: Mixing Marauders|
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|
|Total time||35 minutes|
Simple, elegant, and delicious. Packed full of vegetables and overflowing with flavor, this dinner is sure to be a hit!
1 poundpasta, whole grain penne ziti
2 tablespoonsolive oil (or canola oil)
1/4 cuponion (chopped)
1/2 cupsquash, butternut (diced)
1/2 cupparsnip (chopped)
1/4 cupcarrot (diced)
1/4 cuprutabaga (chopped)
3 1/2 cupstomato puree
1/2 cuptomato (diced)
1 teaspoongarlic (minced)
1 teaspoonbasil, dried
1/2 teaspoonoregano, dried
1 1/2 cupcheese, cheddar (shredded)
- Cook pasta al dente, drain and place in casserole dish.
- Warm tomato puree in medium saucepan over low/medium heat, stir in the herbs, salt and garlic.
- Saute the onions, butternut squash, and root vegetables in oil.
- Add the vegetables to the sauce along with the diced tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Pour cauce into the pasta mixing well to ensure all is covered.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top of the pasta and bake for 10 - 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly golden.