Super Tasty Veggie Burger
|Source||Jr Iron Chef Vermont: Sharon Slicers|
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|
|Total time||35 minutes|
These loaded veggie burgers are bursting with flavor. Even the die-hard carnivore won't be able to resist the flavor these bring to the table.
1. Lightly blacken corn in large skillet. In a bowl, mix corn and frozen peas. Set aside.
2. Squeeze all water from thawed spinach. Set aside.
3. Dry roast barley in large skillet. Add 3 cups of water and cook on medium heat. Cook until barley is soft (you may need to add more water). Once done, set aside.
4. In a pot, cook lentils on medium heat in 3 cups of water. Cook until soft. Once done, set aside to cool.
5. In a pot, cook split peas on medium heat in 4 cups of water. Cook until soft. Once done, set aside to cool.
6. In a pot, cook brown rice on medium heat in 3 cups of water. Cook until soft. Once done, set aside to cool.
7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut into one inch cubes the broccoli, zucchini, onion, sweet potato. Coat with olive oil. Place on sheet pan and roast in oven. Do not overcook, you want them to carmalize brown, but still to have some firmness.
8. Once carmalized, set oven veggies aside to cool. Once they are cool place veggies in a food processor. Chop into small pieces, but not creamy.
Optional Step: scramble eggs
9. Mix black beans, lentils, split peas, brown rice, spinach, corn and peas with oven veggies and mix together in large bowl.
10. Now mix in whole oats (scramble eggs: optional) oatmeal and brown rice flour, pepper, salt and syrup.
11. Form burugers into serving size desired.
12. Place on sheet pan and cool
Spray frying pan with olive oil. Pre heat on medium.
Place burgers on pan. Once golden brown on one side, flip, and cook that side till golden brown.
Once done, add burger to choice of bun. Top with tomato, choice of cheeses and choice of condiments.