Old Fashioned Chicken Soup
|Source||City Market's Hot Bar|
|Prep time||45 minutes|
|Cooking time||30 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour, 15 minutes|
We offer this feel-good soup frequently at our Hot Bar and many have asked for the recipe. It's perfect for those long winter nights when all you need is a warm, comforting soup to brighten things up. For a delicious vegetarian version, use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock and replace the chicken with seitan, chickpeas, or any other favored substitute.
- Heat oil on medium heat.
- Add carrots and onions and cook until onions are translucent and softened, about 15 minutes.
- Add celery, stock, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Add whole chicken breast and simmer 12-15 minutes. Remove breast, slice and return to soup.
- Cook elbow pasta separately in boiling salted water. Drain and add to soup. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Add parsley before serving.