Local Food Statistics & Resources

Local Tomatoes

One of City Market’s goals is to support our local producers and strengthen our local food system and economy.  We do this through offering thousands of local products throughout our store from Produce to Meat and Seafood to Beer and Wine.  Every year, the number of local products we are able to offer at the Co-op grows and sales of local products continue to rise.

In fiscal year 2014, we were able to offer over 2,000 distinct local items for sale in the Co-op and sales of these local products topped $13 million, which is over one-third of our total sales!  We also invested $66,000 in local farms to help develop infrastructure and increase local production capacity.

In terms of Vermont’s food system, the Vermont Farm to Plate Strategic Plan, which resulted from the legislative passage of the Farm to Plate Investment Program in 2009, provides some detailed data (as of 2010).  Some notable numbers:

  • It is estimated that in Vermont, local food sales are approximately 5% (about $100 million) of total food sales. In comparison, the value of all the food products that are shipped into Vermont is approximately $2.5 billion.
  • Dairy is a huge player in Vermont’s food system: in 2007, dairy products made up 74% of local sales in the state.
  • In 2010, farmers received 14.1 cents of every food dollar spent, while the remaining 85.9 cents went to processing, distribution, retailing, and other services.
  • In 2007, only 52% of Vermont small farms (farms with less than $100,000 in sales) realized net income gains while 48% experienced net losses.
  • In 2007, 21% of Vermont’s land was in agriculture and about 84% was considered “harvested cropland,” while the remaining 16% was in pasture, cover crops, laying fallow, or had experienced crop failure/abandonment. 

City Market is committed to strengthening Vermont’s local food system.  In addition to working with local producers to help them produce and sell their products, we also participate on Vermont Farm to Plate working groups and task forces and partner closely with area non-profits that are working to grow the capacity of our local food system and address food insecurity in our state.

Interested in learning more about Vermont’s local food system? Check out the links below for some organizations doing amazing work:

Burlington School Food Project

Hunger Free Vermont

Vermont Foodbank

Intervale Center

Northeast Organic Farming Association of Vermont (NOFA VT)

Shelburne Farms

The Center for an Agricultural Economy

University of Vermont’s Center for Sustainable Agriculture

Vermont Agency of Agriculture

Vermont Community Garden Network

Vermont Farm and Forest Viability Program

Vermont Food System Atlas (Vermont Farm to Plate Network)