2014 Board of Directors Elections
City Market, Onion River Co-op's Board of Directors consists of nine members, elected from the general Membership. Elections are held annually and Directors serve for a term of three years.
If you are interested in running for a seat on the Board for the 2015-2017 term, please download an application and submit by Friday, September 5 at 5pm. If you have any questions during this process, please contact Liz Dykes at 802-861-9707 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To run for the City Market, Onion River Co-op Board of Directors, you must:
- Be a City Market/Onion River Co-op Member in good standing. Any household member wanting to run for the Board must purchase Equity under their own Membership by September 5, 2014.
- Be 18 years of age as of September 5, 2014.
- State all potential conflicts of interest on application and must not have an overriding conflict of interest.
In an effort to better educate new candidates about Board work, including the time commitment involved and the associated responsibilities, the Board has created a list of optional preparedness activities. The checklist is as follows:
Attend an Orientation with Michael Healy. Michael Healy is a Co-op Member, our Board Facilitator and a consultant with CDS Consulting Co-op. We have scheduled two orientations at City Market this summer:
- Thursday, August 21 from 6pm to 7pm
- Wednesday, September 3 from 6pm to 7pm
- To attend one of these sessions, please RSVP at least 24 hours in advance to Liz Dykes at email@example.com or 861-9707.
- Read suggested materials on Policy Governance. These materials are found in the Cooperative Board Leadership 101 Reader. The Reader includes three articles that focus on Policy Governance, which is the form of governance used by the Co-op’s Board.
- Review a Board packet from a prior meeting. City Market’s Board packets are reading materials that each Board Member receives prior to each meeting. Each Board Member reads the packet in order to be prepared to fully participate in the monthly Board meeting. You can find a sample Board packet here.
Attend a Board meeting. There are three opportunities to attend Board meetings before the Friday, September 6 Board Candidate Application deadline. All Board meetings are in City Market’s Conference Room. Please RSVP to Liz Dykes (using the contact information above) and a Co-op Staff Member will meet you at Customer Service just before 6pm. Liz will send you a Board packet prior to the meeting you would like to attend.
- Monday, June 23, 6pm – 8:30pm
- Monday, July 28, 6pm – 8:30pm
- Monday, August 25, 6pm – 8:30pm
- Talk with a current Board Member. This will give you a Board Member’s perspective of the Co-op’s governance process. Board Members will be available during the orientation sessions with Michael Healy (see above) if candidates RSVP that they’d like to talk to both Michael and a Board Member in that same evening. Otherwise, please use the contact information here to get in touch with a Board Member directly.