Recipes for a Unique Father's Day
Father's Day is fast approaching, and here's a great way to show your dad how much you appreciate him: make him homemade body care products! The following recipes come from our Herbal Education Coordinator, Cristi Nunziata, and run the gamut from aftershave to foot powder. Don't have time to make your own DIY gifts? Check out some gift suggestions at the end of this post from Cristi.
Bay Spice Aftershave
Allspice, ground or grated
Ginger, grated or ground
1. Pack a wide mouth mason jar with bay leaves and desired amount of allspice, cloves, and ginger. Fill with witch hazel to cover the herbs by an inch or two. Cover and let sit for 3-4 weeks.
2. Strain and rebottle. Add a few drops of bay essential oil if desired.
Homemade Invigorating Spicy After-Shave
10 fresh or dried bay leaves
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons dried witch hazel leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 teaspoons cloves
1 cup vodka
Combine all ingredients in a jar, cover, and steep for two weeks. Strain into another jar. Leave a cinnamon stick in and add a fresh bay leaf for visual appeal.
Ooh Ah Foot Powder
Recipe from Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art, by Kathi Keville and Mindy Green
½ cup powder base (Arrowroot, cornstarch, and white clay make good powder bases)
5 drops geranium oil
5 drops lavender oil
1 drop cinnamon oil
3 drops rosemary oil
Mix ingredients together and apply sprinkle in shoes.
Herbal Deodorant Spray Recipe
Submitted By: Lori of Kansas City, MO
3 oz. witch hazel
1 oz. high proof vodka
1 teaspoon tea tree oil
1 teaspoon rosemary oil
1 teaspoon grapefruit seed extract
1 teaspoon lime oil
Mix ingredients into a spray bottle and spray.
Sore Muscle Soak
Recipe from Organic Body Care Recipes, by Stephanie Tourles
1 12x12 inch piece of cheesecloth
1 cup Epsom salts
½ cup baking soda
1 tablespoon chamomile flowers
1 tablespoons juniper berries
1 tablespoons sage leaves
2 teaspoon lemon balm
2 teaspoon peppermint
15 drops pine essential oil
Place dry ingredients in the center of the cloth, then add essential oils. Tie off with a piece of string and hang off water tap in the tub. To store, keep in an airtight container. Use within 6 months.
Cristi's gift picks:
- A maple-themed basket with Urban Moonshine maple bitters, Bourbon barrel maple syrup from Wood's Pure Maple Syrup , and maple candy from Highland Sugarworks
- An outdoor-themed basket with Arnica muscle relief rub and after bug bite relief spray from Wild Hill Soap and Herbals of Vermont, Bug Out Hemp and Citronella bug spray from Way Out Wax, Green Mountain tick repellent, Badger sore muscle rub, and a large citronella candle
- A grilling-themed basket with Grandpa Jim's BBQ sauce (Donna, our Assistant Grocery Manager loves this!), Guild Fine Meats bratwursts, Rock Art Brewery's Sunny and 75, and Rogue's Dad's Little Helper Black IPA (Todd, our Outreach and Education Manager, who recently welcomed his own daughter to the world, loves this!)
- A shaving-themed basket with Badger pre-shave oil and shave soap, a Burma Shave shaving brush, Herban Cowboy shaving soap and aftershave, Chasworth Farm shaving soap, Alba Botanica mango vanilla shaving cream (Cristi's dad loves this!), and Ursa Major face balm